URGENT ACTION ALERT
TELL CONGRESS TO OPPOSE UNFAIR UNION ORGANIZING BILL
Congress will soon vote on the Protecting the Right to Organize (PRO) Act. This bill is an unprecedented attempt to fundamentally change dozens of well-established labor laws to assist organized labor without any regard to their detrimental impact on workers, employers—union and open-shop—and the economy. If enacted, the PRO Act would completely upend decades of work to balance employee and employer rights and restrictions settled in courts, the National Labor Relations Board, and Congress.
The PRO Act’s most significant changes impacting the construction industry are:
• Eliminating “secondary boycott” protections that would allow unions to launch disruptive protests and pickets against any employer, even those having nothing to do with a labor dispute.
• Imposing a “backdoor card check” exception to employees’ well-established right to a secret ballot election where they can freely vote their choice without intimidation by employer or union;
• Codifying the “quickie” or “ambush” election rules that limit employees’ access and opportunity to consider information about the union seeking to represent them;
• Expanding joint employer liability that could alter well-settled subcontracting practices in the construction industry;
• Hindering contractors’ ability to secure legal advice on complex labor matters; and
• Establishing an overly restrictive independent contractor test.
Already, this legislation has 216 cosponsors in the U.S. House of Representatives and 40 cosponsors in the U.S. Senate. Tell your U.S representative and senators to oppose the PRO Act today. OCA is working with our national affiliate, Associated General Contractors of America (AGC) to encourage input on this important proposal. Click on the following link, and you will be guided through an easy to use process in order to notify your elected officials in the House and Senate about this proposed legislation. If you have any questions about the Bill, please contact Mark Potnick in the OCA office.
Taking action is easy . Simply submit the pre-written message as is to your Representative and Senators or customize them with personal information on how this issue impacts you and your company.
TAKE ACTION NOW